Social Icons

August 19, 2013

Leaving the Scene of the Accident Can Get You Into Trouble

As a Los Angeles motorist, it is a must that you are aware of the steps that you need to do in case you get involved in a car accident. First, you must move your vehicle out of the traffic flow and, if possible, contact the California Highway Patrol (CHP) or law enforcement and wait for them to get to the scene.

While at the accident scene, it is important that you take photographs of any debris or dents on your vehicle using your cell phone or camera, if you have one. If there are witnesses present at the scene, obtain their contact information, and provide them yours. After the accident, don’t forget to contact your insurance provider and explain to your agent of what happened. Never agree to provide a recorded statement to your insurance provider without first seeking legal advice from a Los Angeles car accident attorney.

Such unfortunate events often involve damage to property, as well as occurrence of injury or death to another person. In any of these circumstances, the one thing that you need to do is stay at the scene. Doing otherwise may cause you to face either a misdemeanor or a felony charge.

You may face a misdemeanor charge if you leave the accident scene which involved property damage. As stated by the California Vehicle Code section 20002, you are only allowed to stop at the scene and provide your contact information (name, home address, vehicle registration, contact number) to the owner of the damaged property. You may also provide the other party your driver’s license.

Meanwhile, you may face a felony charge if you do the same thing; this time if there is either personal injury or death involved. As stated by the California Vehicle Code section 20001, aside from stopping at the scene, you must also provide either the injured person/s or police officers your contact and vehicle information. If the vehicle you were driving is not yours, the name and address of the car owner must be provided.

It is important that you also assist any injured person involved in the accident. Within 24 hours of the accident, you must file an accident report at the police department near the area where the accident or with the CHP.

To know more information about Vehicle Accident, you can visit this website: